It is estimated that 8.5 out of every 10 people are Iron Deficient resulting in loss of energy, irritability, weakness, lack of concentration, loss of body warmth and decreased immune function resulting in increase susceptibility to infection.
Nature’s answer to this is CARAO.
A fascinating and intriguing fruit called Carao exists in Costa Rica that is known worldwide to be an amazing natural anemia treatment. It is also actually known by name in parts of the world as Stinking Toe. The visual image is humorous. Imagine yourself on a nice warm summer day and after a long day of work you sit down on the sofa and while removing your shoe a slow wafting aroma hits your nose from your stinky feet. That is the Carao fruit legend. In fact most folks that come in contact with it don’t exactly prefer the smell, some likening it to an expensive gourmet cheese. But don’t let this deceive you! It actually has a slightly sweet taste (due to the natural sugar content) and is quite tasty. In this case smell and taste are not at first reconcilable. The first time we ever tried it, the first thing that came to my mind was a mixture of both chocolate with a hint of cherry. Therefore, we loved tasting this fruit for the first time. The benefits and potent affects of this fruit extract or syrup particularly with those who are anemic, have low iron or have sickle cell anemia have proven to be nothing short of miraculous. It is known by older generations here to be a folk remedy for this health condition.
Anemia affects hundreds of thousands of people per year. It is a condition which results in a reduction of either the number of red blood cells or the amount of hemoglobin in the blood. This is very serious because the red bloods cells carry oxygen in the blood throughout the body. When this occurs, the function of the cells is impaired and important process such as cell growth and repair and muscular activity are reduced resulting in many symptoms which may not be readily recognized. The most common cause of anemia is an iron deficiency. However, for many strange reasons, people who are anemic and take an iron supplement do not always get better. Anemia treatment is largely helped by improving nutrition and diet. Raw liver extract, blackstrap molasses, and vitamin C among other things appear to work in treatment of this condition.
Chinese medicine has used herbal formulas to help “build” the blood that have worked wonders for thousands of years. Below are some of the great Chinese herbal formulas that help to remedy fatigue, anemia, sleep issues, digestive issues and many more.
The Benefits of Costa Rica Carao Fruit
Not much information is available from a technical and nutritional aspect on the internet about this fruit. However, I will summarize what is available on the web regarding the benefits of this exotic delicacy.
- Carao is a natural remedy for anemia. Like most natural things, the effects come after constant use, which is estimated to be over a period of 1-2 months for best results.
- Improves the health of the blood. Improving the health of the blood can have far reaching effects beyond that of just curing those who are anemic. Healthy blood means improved immune system. It not only supplies oxygen to your cells, help to get rid of waste, it carries nutrients, controls your temperature, heals wounds and fights off infection.
- It is also known as being an aphrodisiac, increasing libido. This again, is most likely due to the cleansing of the blood.
- It is known locally to be a galactogogue, which is a substance that promotes lactation/milk production both in animals and humans.
- All fruits contain phytonutrients, which help in the proper functioning of the body. As more research is done on this fruit, I am positive it will yield more reaching benefits than previously known. It does contain iron, which in an organic form revitalizes low levels in the body.
- Boost in Energy. One of the most prominent side effects from those taking Carao is a boost energy. Many people locally and online attest to the increase in energy that they felt after taking it. I can attest to the truth of this as well.
- Stamina and endurance for Athletes. Stories have surfaced of bodybuilders taking Carao in conjunction with other supplements that have enabled them to reach new personal levels in training and to break previous growth records.
- It is an appetite enhancer and also is a hemostatic (stops bleeding). One local woman tells us the story of her child having a continual nose bleed and before deciding to cauterized the nose, they decided to try this fruit and to their surprise after a couple of weeks of continuous use, the bleeding had stopped.
The Carao fruit can be eaten directly but is most often found as an extract, powder or syrup, resembling that of molasses.
A recipe made here by the locals can be made as well; we found it to be very delicious.
- 3 teaspoons (or tablespoons) of Carao
- 8 ounces of almond or rice milk
- Organic dehydrated sugar cane or raw un(amount to your liking)
- Can be served hot or cold
Whether you are curious to try something new or are looking for a natural anemia treatment, this exotic fruit from Costa Rica may be just what you are looking for. My stinking toe just got a new name, and that name is chocolate cherry tasting Carao.